17 Aug 2010

Brave New Blog

OK. I think it is time for a renewal, sort of a revival (clearly)
I used to have a very sweet blog back in the good old days, when Microsoft ruled my computer life. Now, almost a year and a half ago, I started using Linux, and I loved it, you can actually read a previous entry, explaining the whole thing.
Now... Although It's been almost a year without having nothing to say, I decided it was time to start again. Fresh, from scratch.

And since this is like a re-opening, I should probably start with a proper introduction.

I'm Vic, a PhD student, doing some genetics, phage genomics, and hopefully tons of bioinformatics. I have a nice, cute and very smart girlfriend, also a PhD student. I'm the older of two sons, being my brother a computer-addicted good fellow. My parents have their own convenient store, and we all live in a rather big town near Mexico City.

I spend most of my time right in front of a very close friend, my so-reliable computer, an hp dv6k with an Ubuntu 10.04 linux distro. But I also work at the department of Genetics and Molecular Biology of the Center for Research and Advanced Studies of the National Polytechnic Institute (it looks so fancy in English, in Spanish it just doesn't). I run a mile or two daily and I eat my veggies n_n.

This blog, among other stuff, will be covering, TV shows, Music, Books, News, Science postings, Programming, Gaming, Movies, and hopefully some fun.

Being this the first entry (yeah right), it will cover the stuff mentioned above (the rest of the entries will be only rubbish LOL #NOT)

So, please feel free to post something, although I don't have any followers yet, I wish some of you can join me.

TV.
Well, lately I've been at Cuernavaca (the eternal-spring town), and I spent some time with my friend Fabs, who, recommended me the TV Show "How I met your mother", with which I instantly fell in love, so much that I've got myself the five complete seasons _legally ;)_. Watch it, it's hilarious. Then my personal favourites, "Doctor Who," which is an awesome SciFi series, it's so cool, it has been running since 1963. Then "Survivors", which deals with a pandemic outbreak of Flu (Naah! really?), and focuses on the personal issues of a group of survivors, with flashbacks, and crossed-stories (You may think "Oh really? LOST already has done something like that", well, bad news for those who watch american-tv-shows only, Survivors got launched back in the seventies, so, it is more likely that LOST took some elements from that series (not the other way around)). "iCarly", lots of fun with those teenagers... where is my fourth season?. Last but not least "Top Gear", a very cool show about motoring. Do you have low levels of testosterone? Then don't watch it, you probably won't like it.
Music.
Nothing new, but my personal recommendations are the following:
-Rush -> Any disc, they are awesome
-King Diamond -> Abigail, a theatrical metal show, back in the eighties it was awesome, today, it still is. BTW although this production was seriously theatrical, it has a very powerful arrangements of the band, not soft stuff such as avantasia.
-Anthrax -> Spreading the disease. No words, just go buy it. 1986 revenge!
Books.
Horror tales, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Awesome, something asides from the classic sherlock holmes character
News.
Victor Flores got his blog back.
Science postings.
bitesizebio has a very cool collection of posts concerning molecular biology and wet lab in general.
Programming.
Just finished a pipeline for short genome annotation, some bash scripting and voila!, 70% annotation of a <100kb genome in less than 20 minutes.
Gaming.
Well, the most recent game I played was Dante's inferno, which is cool... it's not gears of war, but, it can be fun...ish
Movies.
Hmmm, the last really good movie I watched was "Inception", cool concept, although at some points I felt it rather reiterative.
Fun.
"Too bad you're not a helicase, 'cause if you were, you could unzip my genes" (Might not sound fun, but, jeans and genes are pronounced exactly the same, sou, a helicase can unzip my jeans (for any given purpose))

Well, that's all for tonight, don't forget to follow me at deviantart, twitter, facebook, and most mainstream sites.

Best wishes, and we'll be kept posted.

1 comment:

  1. Luuuuuuuuuvvvvvvvvv u hun!! Luv ur back!!! No tengo blog porque mi vida privada ya es muy pública de por si, pero si seré fiel follower y esperaré cada entry con ansias so.... escribe escribe!!! beso bien grande!
    CQ

    ReplyDelete